App development is an intricate process that requires perfection, and several companies offer development services from across the globe. However, when you are looking at the Indian subcontinent, then selecting a mobile app development company in Chennai ascertains that your mobile app has umpteen benefits, including robust security.
Security is an integral aspect of every mobile application. Integrating security during mobile app development is essential because it helps protect sensitive user information and data from potential threats and vulnerabilities. Everything from unauthorized access and data breaches to malware and other malicious attacks is included here.
According to ASEE group,
- 82% of Android devices are prone to get exposed to at least one of 25 vulnerabilities.
- One in four mobile apps has at least one high-risk flaw related to security.
- A calculation revealed that there are over staggering 256 billion opportunities for hackers to invade smartphones.
This article will enlighten the best practices used by all renowned mobile application development companies for implementing robust security during mobile app development. So, let’s begin!
#1 Implementing Strong Authentication and Authorization
Strong authentication and authorization are essential best practices for securing mobile apps.
- Authentication is used to verify a user’s identity. At the same time, authorization grants access to specific resources or features within an app based on a user’s role or permissions.
- Strong authentication can be achieved through multi-factor authentication (MFA) methods, such as requiring a password, fingerprint, or facial recognition. This ensures that only authorized users can access the app and its resources.
- Also, developers should consider using OAuth2 or OpenID Connect for authentication, as they are widely accepted industry standards.
- For authorization, developers should use role-based access control (RBAC) to restrict access to specific resources or features within the app based on a user’s role or permissions. This prevents unauthorized access to sensitive information or functionality.
By implementing strong authentication and authorization, mobile app developers can help to protect against unauthorized access and data breaches and ensure that only authorized users have access to sensitive information and functionality within the app.
#2 Encrypting Sensitive Data
Encrypting sensitive data is another critical best practice for securing mobile apps.
- Encryption converts plaintext data into a coded format that can only be deciphered with a unique key or password.
- When encrypting data, using a robust encryption algorithm, such as AES 256-bit or RSA, is essential as using unique keys or passwords for each user.
- Developers should also consider using a secure key store, such as the Keychain on iOS or the KeyStore on Android, to store encryption keys securely.
- Along with encrypting data, developers should also consider using secure storage mechanisms such as encrypted databases or encrypted file systems to store sensitive data on the device.
#3 Implementing Secure Network Communications
Implementing secure network communications is a crucial best practice for securing mobile apps.
- This involves protecting the communication between the mobile app and the server it communicates with to prevent unauthorized access, data breaches, and other malicious attacks.
- Another critical aspect of secure network communications is to validate the server’s identity using a digital certificate. This helps to prevent “man-in-the-middle” attacks.
- Lastly, when developing mobile apps, it’s essential to use a robust and secure communication library that offers encryption and certificate pinning to ensure the server’s authenticity.
Implementing secure network communications helps to protect sensitive information from unauthorized access and data breaches. This ensures that the data remains confidential and secure, even as it travels over the network.
#4 Protecting a Reverse Engineering and Tampering
Protecting against reverse engineering and tampering is an essential best practice for securing mobile apps. Reverse engineering analyzes and understands an app’s inner workings, while tampering refers to making unauthorized changes to the app.
- To protect against reverse engineering and tampering, developers should use code obfuscation techniques to make it difficult for an attacker to understand the app’s code.
- This can include techniques such as renaming variables and classes, adding unnecessary code, and using code encryption and anti-debugging techniques.
- Another technique to protect against reverse engineering and tampering is using code signing, which ensures that the app has not been tampered with in the first place.
- Also, developers should use runtime protection mechanisms, such as root detection and jailbreak detection, to prevent the app from running on a jailbroken or rooted device.
#5 Regularly Updating and Patching the App
Regularly updating and patching the app is a critical best practice for securing mobile apps.
- When updating and patching the app, developers should focus on the following:
- Fixing any known security vulnerabilities in the app.
- Improving the overall security of the app by implementing new security features or enhancing existing ones.
- Updating any third-party libraries or services that the app relies on to ensure they are up-to-date and secure.
- The update process must be automated as much as possible, such as using the app store’s automatic update feature for apps distributed through app stores. This ensures that users will be prompted to update their app as soon as a new version is available.
Overall, regularly updating and patching the app is a critical best practice that helps to address potential vulnerabilities and maintain the overall security of the app.
#6 Storing Data Securely in the Cloud
Storing data securely in the cloud is an essential best practice for securing mobile apps. Cloud storage allows mobile apps to store and access large amounts of data remotely, but it also poses new security risks.
- When storing data in the cloud, developers should use encryption to protect the data from unauthorized access. This can include both in-transit encryption, which encrypts data as it travels over the network and at-rest encryption, which encrypts data when it is stored.
- Developers should also use secure critical management systems to store and manage encryption keys and use a secure cloud storage provider that meets industry standards and regulations.
- Lastly, developers should also ensure that they comply with industry standards and regulations, such as HIPAA and PCI-DSS, that may apply to their app and the data it stores.
#7 Providing Security Awareness and Training for Users
Providing security awareness and training for users is an essential best practice for securing mobile apps.
- Users are often the first line of defense against security threats, and educating them on how to use the app securely and recognize and avoid potential security risks is essential.
- Security awareness and training for users can take many forms, including:
- Providing clear and concise security policies and guidelines for using the app.
- Providing users with information on recognizing and avoiding phishing and other social engineering attacks.
- Offering security training and education resources, such as online tutorials, videos, or webinars.
- Advising users to avoid jailbreaking or rooting their devices as it can make them vulnerable to security threats.
- By providing security awareness and training for users, mobile app developers can help reduce the risk of security incidents and ensure that users take the necessary steps to protect their information and the app.
- It’s also vital to keep users updated on any security vulnerabilities that may be discovered and provide instructions on how to address them.
By taking a proactive approach to security during the development process, mobile app developers can identify and address potential vulnerabilities well in advance before they are exploited. Further, implementing security measures can ensure that the app meets industry standards and regulations. Security is an essential step in the development process that defines the destiny of app development.
You can get in touch with a mobile app development company in Chennai since the southern city of India is one of the dominant IT hubs in the world. The app developers in Chennai are known for their talent and proficiency. With their help, you can get a robustly secure mobile application in no time.